- For entering freshmen, one of the following is required to be eligible to apply for admission to the Honors Program:
- an ACT composite score of 28 or above / an SAT score (CR + M) of 1300 or above
- Top 10% of graduating class
- a GPA of at least 3.7 (on a 4-point scale) in high school course work
Current MSSU Students who have completed one to four semesters of course work with a grade point average of at least 3.5 are also invited to apply for admission into the Program. Completion of the 26-credit Honors curriculum will still be required.
Transfer students who have completed an Honors program at an accredited two-year institution may also apply, and if admitted, may be eligible to transfer in some Honors credits. If an articulation agreement does not exist between MSSU and the two-year institution, the Honors Program Committee will evaluate case individually.
An application form, an application essay, and two letters of recommendation from teachers or others who are familiar with the student's academic potential are required. Promising candidates will be invited to an interview with one of the Directors of the Honors Program.
- A COMPLETED Application form must be filed.
- First-time Freshmen: Please request that an official high school TRANSCRIPT be sent directly to the Honors Program. Other applicants: Please request that all official college or university TRANSCRIPTS be sent directly to the Honors Program
- Your ACT or SAT RESULTS must be on record, either separately, or on your transcript.
- Arrange to have two LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION sent directly to the Honors Program from personnel in your high school.These letters should address the qualities you possess as a student.
- Submit a 1,000-word Admission essay using the following prompt: Andy Warhol once said that "In the future everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes." Describe your fifteen minutes.
- When your application is complete, you may be invited for an INTERVIEW.
DEADLINES - For Fall Semester Admission
- Items 1-5 listed above must be completed by February 15.
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted by April 1. See the Financial Aid page for instructions.
- Students submitting application materials after this date may be considered if time permits, or may be considered for admission the following Spring.
DEADLINES - For Spring Semester Admission
- Items 1-5 listed above must be completed by November 15 of the previous calendar year.
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted by November 1. See the Financial Aid page for instructions.
- Students submitting application materials after this date may be considered if time permits, or may be considered for admission the following Fall
Send all application materials to:
Honors Program Director
Missouri Southern State University
3950 East Newman Road
Joplin, MO 64801-1595
Telephone: In Joplin 1-417-625-3005 Toll free: 1-866-818-MSSU (6778)
Missouri Southern State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action institution.
The college reserves the right to amend regulations when necessary.
For more information about the college visit our website www.mssu.edu